Saturday, April 24, 2004

30 years after my 1st two years in college I am finishing up that old BA. 2 years at tiny Franconia College, whereat at least I had Robert Grenier for a teacher, now a couple years at Lesley University. Lesley has a program for so called adult learners, so it's not a matter of immersion amidst a bunch of 20 year olds. I had to learn to write papers, which I never had to do much in my previous edu exp. it has been great exercise to write formally like that. I think I worked muscles I haven't worked much. I feel confident now, that I can wrote with formal care. last February I wrote a 24 page paper in less than a week. this was not a matter of procratination, but a matter of circs. one part of the circs was a wonderful (bad) run of techo luck. my new computer had an issue and needed to be sent to juvy hall for reprogramming. Beth's laptop blipped out immediately upon my attempting to use it as 2nd choice. 3rd choice was an electric typewriter I got at a yard sale. that broke. my son's laptap was already fizzing. his pc is old and wouldn't accept the spanking new version of Windows and Word that I tried to get onto the thing. I'd already made headway on the thing when new info caused me to start completely from scratch. and I whupped the thing, them credits are mine. my college grades have been A's mainly. which is awesome. in high school I was wedged firmly into the average student slot. not that I worked real hard, but also there's a fated sense in school, you are what's been decided about you. I had a loopy French teacher who worked out the bell curve for the class, and there we stayed. luckily I was a B in that class. to fulfill Lesley's necessities, I took three courses at the community college, where I totally was the oldest strudent in my classes. in the Vietnam class I took, I was the only one, aside from the teacher, who was even alive during the war. now I just need to finish a 40 pages thesis, I'm about 2/3 thru, and I will have accomplished something in this life. it aint the workload for me that challenges, it's the social enterprise of classes, and the rigmarole of enrolling and dotting i's and all that muddle. as Olson writes, "I've had to learn the simplest things last".

No comments: