Monday, April 19, 2004

I got Hegel's The Philosophy of History and am excited. not even sure why, it just seems lush with possibility. got the idea of 'translating' Hegel. some way working with the text and yanking it around. I like having these projects tho what I actually work with tend to be lower concept. I recall a notebook in which I wrote notes on visits to a nearby fed wildlife preserve Great Meadows, nature notes mostly. another was the intention to follow an enture Red Sox season (via box score mainly). a concept upon which I may find ways of going elsewhere. neither of those proejcts went the distance. with the Great Meadow notebook, I think I just ended up grabbing that notebook for other uses, and that served to dilute and divert the effort. the baseball idea was just a lot of work, and I never was a committed fan. twice i've had the inspiration to write all day. the first time was while reading Midwinter Day by Bernadette Mayer. I ended up with a 7 page poem that spanned 4 days of writing. I recall liking that poem, but don't recall its features and couldn't find it amongst my papers if I tried. I sent it to Peter Ganick for A.bacus and he returned it with the note something like, too normative. which maybe it was. my 2nd day long attempt came from reading Robert Grenier's Day at the Beach/. that spanned a month or so and is something like 40 pages. I cannot recall what I called that thing. I liked that thing a lot, as a book. a precursor to Day's Poem, which I wrote a couple years ago, specifically from june 2000 to august 2001. close to 800 pages and I consider it my best writing. getting back to the Hegel PROJECT, not that I've exactly declared myself here, I'd like to experiment (id est mess around) with it. not just write my langpo sentences. I did a few collaborations with John M. Bennett, which were useful to me. he's so driven to mess with texts. I followed his lead and tried to keep up. his mag Lost and Found times is a lot of fun, by the way. it includes lots of visual work and collaborations from a lot of very busy people. highly recommended. his address:

Luna Bisonte Prods
137 Leland Ave.
Columbus, OH 43214

No comments: