Monday, August 30, 2004

once again, the fellow playing that Chinese stringed instrument. in front of the Coop, Hahvud Squayah. well first I rushed by a guy asking for spare change, anxious to get to the reading. I didn't think what little I had in my wallet constituted spare at the time. then I recollected the quarters in my pocket, and those could be spare, since the parking metre had been fed. so I went back. the guy wasn't going to let me off easy. 'oh so you did have some money, my brother'. then the other guy playing away. staring into some distance that wasn't for me to know. okay, we were in a rush. coming back, slower, we listened a bit. I suppose he was still doing traditional Chinese music, but it sounded Celtic in my ear. Beth gave him some money and he smiled with such surprising animation. I just didn't think he had that in him anymore. he said 'thank you' and Beth said 'thank you'. Beth said she thought he was broken. the music's a rope to which he holds.

No comments: