Thursday, September 02, 2004

this is interesting: Stephen Vincent messin' with Zukofsky. well this just serves to remind me that I should take more time with Z. but I'm trying to work thru Beverly Dahlen!. it's quite an exercise that Stephen performs. I've mentioned earlier how I was riffing on the poems in Coolidge's On The Nameways ici. Stephen is working more closely, efforting it, whereas my little attempts were just spree. maybe it is not work for Stephen as it would be for me, we all have our methods. I have made translations of Hammurabi's Code and Martin Luther 99 Treatises, tho alas both are caught on a computer that cannot be accessed (along with a royal shitload of my writing, as it happens). I'm not gonna be an innovator but I think it's good exercise to try experiments. what SV does in this work is not exactly what Louis and Celia did with Catullus, but it represents a way of taking hold of the thing.

No comments: