Wednesday, January 19, 2005

John Latta mentioned Otis Spann today. I went to see Muddy Waters in I'm guessing 68 at Club 47 in Harvard Sq. Muddy was indisposd that evening, so Otis took over the singing. I understood Otis to be Muddy's cousin, but maybe that was an honourary designation. there was a glamour to the setting, and seeing these old guys kick it up. Club 47 held about 140 legally, and did its best to exceed legality. I remember the pungent smoke hanging heavily. I wish I'd seen Muddy. Howlin' Wolf used to play there too. I saw Buddy Guy there. Hendrix was in the air at the time. Buddy looked conservative but he was playing the guitar behind his back and with his tie and one handed, whooping and wow. holy shit! my brothers talk of seeing the Butterfield Band in that club, sonic thunder in such a small room. I never saw the folkies that came thru, like Dylan et al. nor interested, then or now. that is, not interested much in Dylan. tho he has written some good songs, I've never been pulled in. Silliman has a couple of posts on Dylan and Dylan's autobiography. I don't perceive excitement on Ron's part for Dylan, more like a nod to Dylan's cultural impact. John Lennon once remarked about Dylan, that Dylan never got any better on the harmonica. that seems like a funny criticism, but don't you wonder why he never went beyond in-and-out huffing?

No comments: