Monday, February 28, 2005

I found this by Jeff Harrison on my hard drive yesterday. I must've downloaded it long ago but never looked at it. ah, so Bramhall has a method!!! well, okay, finally, I read it, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Jeff's work varies considerably in mode, yet retains a focal tension. my immediate sensation when reading this work, was of reading the Greek Anthology. I mean, simply, the collection of ancient Greek texts that have come down to us. there's a cultural grip to Jeff's work, his 'take' on the world, which coincides with the inferred cultural take of those Greek fragements. and with Apollo's Bastards, the poems seem fragmentary (if one could decide of what they are fragments), yet persistent. there's a use of repetition that stops before obsession. this creates a tension and drive to the series as a whole. the poems are arranged humbly and small in the midst of each page's white space. they seem singular yet run together. Jeff tells me, having paid me 45 million dollars (payable in unmarked bills) to say nice things about him, that Apollo's Bastards was the 1st work of his to appear online. thank heavens for the internet, that work gets out there, that might otherwise lanquish in some slush pile. I would've taken a mere one million dollars to write about Apollo's Bastards, because it's really fine work. check out the rest of Blaze Vox's selection here. perhaps I'll write about some of that, following receipt of $45 million, of course.

No comments: