Sunday, February 27, 2005

just listening to some lovely early 16th century sacred music by a Spanish composer I couldn't catch the name of. I love that stuff. I grew up in a Unitarian-Universalist church, that is to say, Religion Lite. services were boring and pointless except that the music could sometimes be good. the main auditorium, if that's the right word, was well lit with large windows, simple in a New England way. that, at least, worked, for there was a meditative quiet there, unencumbered by the drone of the minister. overall, a joyless, perfunctory experience. none of the energy of the music I just listened to. the only Catholic mass I've ever attended (not counting on tv, which I admit have drawn me in on numerous occasions) was for a friend who died. Arthur was French-Canadian, and part of that community locally. all the hymns were sung in French, with lots gusto. it was still a social framework, but at least the religion had some zest to it. of course you can get evangelical desperation masking as joy: I'm Okay But You're In Trouble. you have been given the order to praise. an insolent Republican dividing line. that guy at Starbucks inviting people to join his social network. or are you... the other side...?

No comments: