Saturday, May 14, 2005

I was surprised by Ron Silliman's snipe at Alan Sondheim in the 1st note to this post. I can answer for Alan why he (Alan) uses listservs to post his work rather than blogs. it is the interaction of his (Alan's) work with other works, other threads. Ron's being perverse if he doesn't get that. it's not just about plugging his work that Alan resorts to listservs. a blog is a different animal. Ron's showing entrenched thinking on this point. which is no assertion that Ron Silliman is a dinosaur--he aint, don't be a dummyhead--only that here is his blindspot, as we all have same. earlier this week, I forced myself to write if not about my father, at least within the emotions of grief, loss, anger etc that surround the concept that is now my father. I mean, I was in tears recently thinking I hadn't properly mourned him. and what I did was post each of those to Wryting-l, as soon as I'd finished. I only posted a couple to this blog, they are different acts, quite, to post to a blog and to a listserv. I think I'm boring my imaginary reader, but am on something important to me. Ron's being thick to delegate Alan (look at these friendly 1st names!!!) to the realm of self-exploiter. that's just way too simple. I didn't post those pieces simply for look at me purposes. there was something electric to which I was attentive. I can remember Kevin Magee regularly filing his tough, political depth bombs to Poetics to much to little notice. as if there were some asserted politeness to honour. bleah. the space in which we present isn't just playtime. why would Ron ignore the possibility of serious intent on Alan's part? that's dumb. you can quote me.

No comments: