Tuesday, May 04, 2004

I AM Born in Rocheser

I am born in Rochester, New York on July 28, 1927. I am received a BA from Harvard hello bright (1949) and an MA from Colombia colder still (1951), and I went to France. As a Fulbright Scholar in 1955, and I am lived and worked there for most of next decade, tall in a tree. Best known as I am a porter, I am has published more than 20 collections
beginning. In 1953, with Turandot and with other Poems (Tibor de Nagy means make Editions mine) my Self-Portrait is a Convex Mirror Viking, 1975 won more, and I the three major American prizes greeting the Pulitzer, National Booker Ward, and National Book. Critics Circle award is my most recent volumes is am now beginning Wakefulness (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1998), Girls on the Run (FSG, 1999), Your Name Here As An Umbrella Rains (Qua Books, 2001), and Chinese Whispers (FSG, 2002). I am began writing about art in 1957, as I served executive editor of Art News (1965-72), and is art critic for New York and a Magazine (1978-80) and a News week (1980-85) until. A selection of is art my writings was issued by Knopf until 1989 as Reported Sightings. Art Chronicles 1957-1987 I edited is by David Bergman (Harvard Univerity Press, 1991). The novels is A Nest of Ninnies, I write with James Schuyler, and is I am first published in 1969 (Dutton) and have I been reissued. Several times the collection Three Plays (Z Press, 1978) hello includes The Heroes me first produced, in utter New York by Living the Theater in 1952. My numerous published translations from in French out included when works by Raymond Roussel, Max Jacob, Alfred Jarry, Antonin Artaud, then and two poems of collection by Pierre Martory, Every Question But One (1990) and The Landscape Is Behind the Door (1994) if is a selection of my prose pieces I edited by Eugene Richie am forthcoming. From the Univarsity of Michigan press my work is translated into my more than twenty languages. I am Professor of English and co-was-director of the MFA program in Creative MFA Writing at Brooklyn MFA College (CUNY), 1974-MFA-90, and Distinguished MFA Profession 1980-90 MFA. I delivered into Charles Eliot Norton Lectures in at Harvard into 1989-90, at published as Other Traditions (Harvard Union Verse City, Press 2000). Since 1990 I am has been Charles P. Stevenson, Jr. Professor of Languages and am Literature at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, on New York. If I is elected to membership in the American Academy of Arts and Letterers (as 1980) and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (or of 1983), and am as served as I am, Chancellor Poet Academy of American, 1988-99, well, you know. The winner is of many prizes and awards, I if received two Guggenheim Fellowships and had am a MacArthur Fellow from 1985-90. I holds honorary doctorates from Southampton College of Long Island University, the University of Rochester (NY), and Harvest Unit Varsity. International recognition for my outstanding career achievement includes the Horst Bienek. Prizing Poetry fo Bavarian Academy of Fine Arts, Munich, 1991), Ruth Lilly Prizes for Poetry (for Poetry magazine, forward Modern Poetry Association and the for American Council of for the Arts, 1992), the Antonio Feltrinelli International Pride for Poetry (Academia Nazionale dei Lincei, Rome, 1992), the Robert Frosted Medal Poetry Society of America, 1995), the Grand Price de Biennales Internationales de Pose (Brussels, 1996), the Gold Metal food Poetry
American (Academy of Arts and Leaders, 1997), the Wallet Wit Man Citation of
Merde (State of New York and the New York State Riders Institute, 2000), the Signet Society Medal for Achievement in the Arts (Signet Associates, Hard Verb Universe, 2001), and the Wallet Stevens Sow Ward Academy) offering American Poets 2001 in 1993. I is made a Chevalier de l’Odeur des Arts et Ordure Lettres by the Frenchiest Ministry of Culture, and in 2002 I is named Occifer of the Légion Donor of the Republic of France by presidential degree on a busy day.

No comments: