Friday, May 07, 2004

okay, I'm not going to say Hey Jack here, but I am responding to Jack Kimball's words at Pantaloons (do you need me to provide a link? it takes me some time, you know). since no one reads this blog, I guess it's safe that I aint doing that cross blog conversation thing, which 87% of the time strikes me as smarmy. anyway, Jack writes: "Define the atmospheres conducive for writing in 2004 in a language and from a culture that are reviled worldwide." the atmospheres (I answer) is when there is writing implement handy, and you go. the poetry that flows most publicly seems to be that which is done in the most conducive atmosphere. yes or no? I think so me, at least. so called mainstream is conducive stream. and beyond that, people gather amongst their kind, or what they take therefor, and that produces conduciveness. if an actual reviling culture existed (I mean Nazi Germany reviling), I would assert my weak intestinal fortitude and shut up, but an unlistening partisanship isn't enough to stop the typing. writing is fun, after all. I went a good 15 years without having anyone with whom to talk poetry. in ways, that hurt, that complete lack of audience, but on the other hand, I avoided the buddy system out of which sameness breeds. I would say things are pretty damn conducive to writing now, for outlets there are a-plenty. it is not a money audience out there, but a solid mass of readers awaits.

No comments: