Wednesday, July 07, 2004

inter-library loan coughed up Hegels's Logic of Science (or vice versa) and collected essays by Schopenhauer. so I have a month with these two, and it sounds exciting. I know I won't read much of them, that requiring a more steadfast use of time than I can manage, but I have already had fun scanning thru them. I dunno why philosophy rings my bell now as it didn't for so long. and I don't read poetry as I used to. I read poetry more simply for pleasure (today reading some George Herbert and Thomas Traherne). I used to read more poetry hat was 'out there'. I mean, I read Eliot because he was Eliot, not because I liked his writing, which I do not. the mechanics of poetry is less an issue for me now, since I'm such a mature writer. what compels me now as a reader is a certain energy that I cannot well describe. I just know it is useful.

No comments: