Saturday, July 10, 2004

reading Hanging Out with Pablo and Jennifer, by Kasey Silem Mohammad. it is an e-book published by Duration Press. I fear I'm unclear on the concept of flarf, but I think KSM utlizes that approach in writing his poetry. using online searches to develop texts (correct me if I'm wrong. the 1st piece is called "Does Your Poetry Hold Up". there's something wonderful here, in the way one feels both a collision of purpose in the poem's statements, and also an enveloping agreement. the tone varies amongst snideness, expansiveness, idiosyncrasy and non sequitur. KSM seems both satirizing and joining in. I guess I worry that the poem seems glib. satire outweighs the other tonal components, at least as I read it. I would love to hear Kasey read, for if he's half as good as I think he is, he could really be rollicking with this material. I wonder what's missing tho. is his audience supposed to nod knowingly? I would prefer not to.

No comments: