Monday, August 02, 2004

I may be excessively (self) conscious that the qualities I criticise in others (talking writing particularly) are the selfsame that trouble my own work. I am not as funny as Aaron Kiely, but I have certainly hoped my words could be important. I think I move toward an abandonment of that sense. my 'political' poems are more like tones within the argument of the two (or however many) sides. I mean I see that happening, that my beliefs carry less and less weight in the poem. or at least, I cannot be convincing. I think I am on to something. there is an energy to transfer, and it aint Allen's opinion, much as I like my opnions. I don't so much write poems to Fairport Convention or Rosa Parks anymore. I don't think it is ultimately important poem wise, that my feelings are hurt, or my father's fading, or I am morally opposed, or Elvin Jones made drum sing, much as these may be in my life. the poem's mechanism has an energy of its own, doesn't need me getting in the way.

No comments: