Wednesday, August 04, 2004

reading House Mother Normal by BS Johnson. I love his Christie Malry's Own Double Entry, which is hilarious and rollicking. also was poking thru Anecdoted Topology of Chance by Daniel Spoerri et al. which is completely wonderful. DS trapped everything on his kitchen table at a certain time then proceeded to describe and annotate each item. anecdotes about how the items got there, and tangents. he was assisted by Robert Filiou, his translator Emmett Williams and the illustrater. the result is absurd and compelling. I 1st saw mench of it in the anthology America A Prophecy, then happened upon the book in a used bookstore. really a classic. I'm selling a lot of books saturday, for lack of room, thus have been going thru my collection. couple of days ago I was reading Origins of Species by that awful atheist crank and now I'm not so sure the world began 4000 years ago, but I'M NOT A MONKEE!!! I'm getting rid of 100s of books but nothing I'll miss. books I doubt I'll read again, meaning scifi, mysteries, biographies, plus books superceded by later editions. still keeping 100s of books. not offering much by way of poetry. poetry keeps, and it's doubtful I could find a market for it.

No comments: