Friday, August 06, 2004

I went some 15 years without really talking writing with any writers. just the way I drifted from some friends and never put myself in the way of other writers. internet's several options have enabled me to enter a 'community' of writers. the most telling thing isn't my opinion but the writing I do. I very much read and struggled with the theory written by those associated with Langpo (half the known universe). really liked the poetry talks Bob Perelman edited (Writing/Talks, Southern Illinois University Press (I didn't know there were schools outside of Cambridge!) 1985):

"Watten: Okay Charles, I really think you should purge your vocabulary of phrases like 'structural linguistics from Saussure to Derrida.'
Bernstein: I should purge my...?
Watten: You shouldn't allow yourself to say that. And that would be the answer to the whole thing. I mean, if you know better...
Kit Robinson: Why can't he say that?
Watten: Because it's not only a provisional construction, but it's an illusory and unexamined construction that you in fact know better of."

...and the boys go on...

I wasn't meaning to go this direction, as there are more vital moments in this book nthan this goofy exchange, but gee, is that your language talking or what? did you bring your language and tell it the truth? can purge be purged? we may never know...

No comments: