Thursday, September 30, 2004

check out Lanny Quarles's Trash-Po A Transliterary Assemblage and 2nd batch. scans of stuff he has collected, some of it collage, some of it just is. I've always been a collector of stuff, or at least, I've had the urge. I worked for years at a wine store, thus amassed a large box full of used corks. with no vision of how to use them, just an aura of possibility hanging over them. walking or running, I'd always find some shiny object that I'd carry home. always an idea that someday I'll make use of it. the practicalities of storage have perforced the removal of a lot of this stuff from my grasp. and occasionally, too, in lucid moments, I look and realize it's a bunch of trash. which reminds me of a Bob & Ray skit. Ray plays a fellow who collects oddly-shaped vegetables. unfortunately he has no way to keep the vegetables fresh. after agonizing with the smell for a while Bob asks if Ray's collection isn't just a lot of garbage, a point Ray grudgingly concedes. but until that moment of recognition, there's a delight in finding trashy wonder.

No comments: