Monday, September 27, 2004

John Bennett posted a piece to Wryting by Jim Leftwich concerning JB's work. it is a phenomenal piece for its critical acumen. Leftwich is an astonishing writer himself, an astonishing artist, and comes to JB's work with a technical appreciation as well as an artistic one. JB and JL have done a ton of collaborations together, as well as with others. they surely are simpatico. in this piece, JL really gets into the machinery. I wish I could post the thing here, it's so useful. the piece opens possibilities for me in JB's work (I'm not the best reader around, so any help is gladly accepted). the piece also inspires me to try something different in my own work. these two go on the list of writers who ought to be studied now. I'm not saying I haven't resistance to this work. I think I feel overly stupid, not confident in my critical ability. which leaves me at times not doing justice to work because it confuses or otherwise rattles me. I had this problem 30 plus years ago, when I 1st met the work of Pound, Dickinson, Stein, Zukofsky, Grenier, Olson and, I'm afraid, all too many others, who sent me into dismay. yet I came to grips with many of these writers. Bennett and Leftwich seem to inhabit a universe that, for all its wonders, doesn't get a lot of notice. god knows why. read them, read Sheila Murphy, read Peter Ganick, read Ivan Argülles, read the folks published by Bennett in his Lost and Found Times. there's a lot of energy out there.

No comments: