Tuesday, September 28, 2004

sometimes I have a whereas in my throat that causes me to waver. Henry Gould doesn't. the part of LANGUAGE poetry, and langpo, and all such like that that I can't handle well is the talk that overlays the poetry. late in Thoreau's life he got caught up in sending specimens to Louis Agassiz, so that he was straying from observation into taxonomy. not that taxonomy is bad: it is descriptive. it can be useful. but it is also systematic in a way that can formalize differences, to the point of IMPEDENCE. it's good to know the Latin name of that black and blue butterfly there, but possession of that name does not create a full understanding of that butterfly. sometimes poetry is poetry because it just fucking is. the LANGPO debate has quanatified zilch. and I don't care if Bob's your uncle.

No comments: