Wednesday, September 29, 2004

concerning these scans: doing book art on a water-damaged book. just doodling with the process. the scans aren't that interesting, I admit, shrunk too much, can hardly see the words. more interesting to hold the book. I'm not 'going anywhere' with this, just started doing it. anyway, that's how I work. that's how I read, too. not in a puzzling way, I usually end of agitated or disappointed when I puzzle work, but a sudden leap way. an experience long ago reading Dickinson. I was perhaps exhilarated from just having run in a summer downpour whoosh. the poem about two butterflies coalesced as I read. sometimes I read Dickinson and labour with her syntax, because it wants to be parsed but doesn't make it easy. in this instance, I experienced something of a visionary event, and I say this cautiously. I was in a state of keen reception to the poem's workings. I guess I can't easily get 'there' by the mountain path, struggling step by step, instead rely more on leaps. I will probably gather more pleasure from O'Hara or Berrigan than from Zukofsky, tho I respect LZ a lot and do indeed 'like' his work. when I seem to be slamming other people's critical articulations, I am more defending (for myself) my own sense and sensibility concerning poetry. what I like about John Bennett's mag, Lost and Found Times, is the playfulness of the experiments by all contributors. these recent scans are of some stuff I did just fartin' around. I post them with a feeling, look what showed up. art (of all genres) that does that, surprises me with its appearance (either my work or that of real artists), speaks the pleasure and point of art for me.

No comments: