Saturday, April 29, 2006

3 months ago I downloaded Mark Young's ebook Betabet, which I have only recently begun to read. the book is a lovely intersection of. of what? it seems like of the personal and the political. I've been reading Lorine Niedecker lately, wherein a similar intersection occurs. in neither case is the personal congested with advert. nor is the political tempered by aught but a looking stance. which is to say, there is no inflation of these qualities. both work with a rather stern measure, lines meted out, so to say. I've been reading Creeley lately too, those impossibly thoughtful lines that have burned themselves into my brain (I mean the measure of those lines). all three are so firm and intent on those short unbreakable lines that they made. Mark has been among the champions, if that's the right word, of hay(na)ku, a simple poetic form that insists on a icy crisp measure. I'm fascinated by this. the point is not simple dogmatic counting with hay(na)ku, nor the certainty of the line by the 3 writers. haul it back to Olson, and that curious sense of breath that he tried to make clear. a monadic feeling of the line. I find disjunction is a means of finding the monadic, or even exploiting it. the sternly formed lines of the writers here under discussion are isolations of sense, of seeing. the disjunctions that I use assert similarly. I work most often within the context of the sentence, so the disjunctions are hard stopping places and adjustments. what I see in Mark Young's work (and the others I mention) is burnt off completeness. the fluttery extra stuff is made gone. I appreciate this turn away from the egoistic. I don't know why I have to be so tortured trying to write of this. I recommend Betabet. available also as POD. btw, I discovered I have to print things out if I want to read them well.

No comments: