Tuesday, April 25, 2006

noticed last night that the door was open, and the dog... he's part German shepherd and part husky and that means he wants to see what's over there, and there, and there... that put me in a panic and I called the troops. while Beth and I scurried about, Erin just ran out barefoot. by the time I got out, Erin was carrying Brownie (that's Next County Brownie). Brownie had ventured into a particularly muddy area, which I didn't realize until Erin put him down and the dog ran inside and with muddy feet, anointing the carpet wonderfully. oh the jolly fun. Brownie knows exactly how to get home, his homing sense is perfect, it's just a matter of when. under previous ownership, his owner found him inside a restaurant dumpster, having the time of his life. one time I ran to the nearby farm for some dinner essential and noticed by the side of the road this very dog. just sitting there? I wasn't aware that he'd snuck out. usually in such circs and runs away, just to make the experience so much more fun, but this time he remained where he was. when I got up to him, I saw a gash in his shoulder, and thought he'd been in a fight, unlikely as that would be. then I saw that he favoured a leg. then I saw that that leg dangled. okay, so he'd gotten hit by a car. he was patched up expensively, complete with splint. one week later, he espied an open door and sure enough, off he limped. luckily Beth was out there to corral him. an earlier adventure occurred over the 4th of July weekend. I tied him outside not realizing that his line was unanchored. so he wandered off per orders. I ran around looking for him. I went to neighbouring homes to get permission to look in their yards but because of the holiday, no one was around. so I was skulking about like a criminal. finally I thought I heard something nearby. a neighbour has a rabbit hutch and there I found the arch criminal. he had wrapped the line that was still attached to him around the leg of the hutch. he stared at the unavailable rabbits and yipped forlornly. when he saw me, there was a look of relief, as in, finally some help getting the rabbits. so there's some of my dog adventures, read 'em and weep.

No comments: