Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Really Bad Movies reminded me of Plan 9 from Outer Space. I used to own the tape but that went gone. ah, but I searched the library network and bingo. so Beth and I watched it yesterday, Beth for the 1st time. too much is said about how bad it is. it sure is amateurish. but it also has a weird integrity. Wood was really serious ablut what he was doing. and the movie is oddly compelling, despite bad everything. right off the bat, with bizzaro Criswell, these sterling words are voiced: future events such as these shall be with us in the future. hmm, yes, I think I see what you mean. how about the line the detective gets to speak: Clay is dead--murdered--and somebody is responsible. or the dialogue in which Jeff tells his wife that he saw a flying saucer, and she replies, flying saucers! you mean the kind from up there? and Jeff answers, yes, or their counterpart. huhn??? and this plan 9, in which the dead are risen to, well, it's like, uh, somehow this'll help. the dialogue seems quite random, like Wood was listening to a bunch of movies or conversations as he wrote. quite flarfy, really. I've compared Plan 9 to Coppola's Dracula. of course Coppola had an enormous budget, and he knows cinematography. which just means the lameness of that movie are the more appalling. I don't think Dracula is more compelling to watch than Plan 9. you don't get cops scratching their heads with their revolvers in Dracula, that's for darn sure. nor flying hubcaps neither.

No comments: